Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Christie, will they still love you when you're 64?

Everyone who says that she should be acting like a martyr or that she should be feel shame for allowing their "dirty linen" to be exposed, why should she put her children through the public shame?

I have to be honest; I'm just not sure which position is right in this case. I'm ambivalent depending upon how many looks I've had at this sad but all too human mess caused by way too much money, too much vanity, too much public exposure, and too little maturity.

Is there an adult in the house?
Certainly Christie, arguably whose brain/emotional age of 54 and her body/face apparent age of 32 (kind of like when you're sailing--there's the real wind and then there the apparent wind--keep this 'un behind the wind, Mates), realizes her children will read the tab headlines the next time her new nanny stops at the Circle K for a pack of cigarettes and a six-pack, depending upon which coast they're on. It's just a matter of time before they "find out" that Mummy and Daddy are actually splitting up.

We may be in for a few years of this where as baby boomers age--the "54 and fighting"* groups versus the shameless, exhibitionist MTV whorettes who try to take things away from them, like husbands, jobs, prestige, jewelry, MONEY (which is all they really want) become like sporting events. People love to watch even though we already know who wins--the one with the most money. Too bad the real prizes are always little kids.

One can only imagine the discussions Christie's already had with ex Billy Joel who likely is none too thrilled right now. I'll bet he's downright mad.

Billy Joel
Don't press this, CB, just give the jerk some money and make him go away. God knows you've got it.

Christie
That, that, n-n-nnanny's long, black hair was in my bed, Bill!
(beat)
I have to make him pay. She's so gross. Look what she has on.
Brown with black for God's sake.

Maybe when Christie saw the social sex networks, she just lost it. People do that, you know. Even perfect ones. And the participants knew who Mr. Brinkley was and probably everything about Christie. Now, that's pretty humiliating.

Is it that she just wants revenge?

Revenge for being 54, maybe?

I wanted revenge too, I guess, plus a little help.
I was thirty-two. I felt that he had destroyed my life. With a little of my help, but mostly it was my feeling that he engineered the entire thing (he did, you know).

Unlike Brinkley, who has lived on the earth 24 years longer than when I got divorced in 1976 (that's a verrrry long time body wise) all I had to do to look good in the morning was get up. That's what girls do when they're 32. It's heaven. Enjoy it while you've got it, Girls, because you usually don't realize you had it, till it's gone.

Yeah, Brinkley looks great with a lot of personal sacrifice, work, work, work, did I mention work? Pain? There's a lot of that. Vanity? At what point does she say enough? When are there enough homes? Enough.

Realizing she's not 32, she's not even 42. Why do you think she's angry?

Anyway, I wanted to decimate my ex-husband in front of my children, but I didn't. I was sick with anger, literally sick for two years from the anger and guilt I felt over the what I perceived as the betrayal in my marriage which involved my daughters. Hospital sick such that I was nearly gone. So I truly understand her grief and rage, along with her feelings of wanting to lash out any way she can.

However, I wanted my girls to trust so that they could find mates they could trust. I had such a wonderful father, and such wonderful role models in my family. I wanted that for my girls. You have to have good expectations to get what you want in life, right? I just thought it was best for them. I felt like a martyr which is what probably got me through raising my children, as selfish and wrong as that sounds now. We do what we can I guess.

Well, as it turned out I finally rebuilt my life without his help. It worked out. Besides, I still had great skin, lots of energy and wasn't fighting nature.

It makes me wonder, though. If Christie had had a boy with this man (she did with another husband), would she had kept his behavior quiet? Would she have made him a good example of a who at the time I thought was a bad example? Depends on lots of things.

But as for her daughters, maybe Christie thinks she should use her husband as an example to make certain they'd avoid anyone like him in the future, although it is difficult to believe anyone would put their kids through this for any reason. There's much about families we never know, isn't there? All we need to do is look inside our own to realize that.

About this Peter Cook, her soon-to-be ex husband: cheat on Christie Brinkley? Right there, you've got a red flag.

But then that might be propaganda too. Ask Billy Joel. Maybe Billy knows something about CB's maturity the rest of the world is just now finding out.

And Peter Cook is the father to one of her children. He has rights as long as he has not hurt them. So, there we are. She must, ethically and by law do what is right by him as well.

Those darn stars. Can't live with em; can't live without em! But they're sure fun to write about for a change, instead of the other ones we can't live without--those darn politicians.

Meanwhile, 54 and fighting is hard place for a lot of women. That was nine years ago for me. I'm glad it's over.

Thanks for the read.

*I didn't make up 54 and fighting by the way. It came from the owner of my local book store, Morris, a hard bitten, old fashioned liberal guy from Portland, Maine who I talk with about society and politics. He's 89. I'll probably never know if he was describing me. If he was, I've learned from it.

No comments: