Monday, September 22, 2008

Tina Fey: she's off the Cool Broads list forever

I wrote a protest email to NBC regarding the Saturday Night Live attack on Palin, which was what they say was satire about the overkill media coverage and unfairness to Palin.

It seemed to me to be a disguised attempt at ridiculing people who didn't think like them, just another way of introducing doubt into peoples' minds about the fitness of Sarah Palin, by somehow suggesting she is what they term "trailer trash." NBC's response to huge criticism reminded me a lot of those at the New Yorker whose cover about Michelle in combat fatigues and Barack dressed in Arab garb was "meant" to be parody and if you didn't get it, as one of their spokespeople said, you're an idiot. SNL basically has made the same statement. You're an idiot if you don't get this.

Thanks.

An awful lot of entertainment types are calling people like me "idiots" these days. I don't like that. I don't like their corporate assumption that everyone who is not a Democrat is a bad person, that if I am a Republican, I am somehow substandard in their view. It's become tedious , unenlightening and not very entertaining.

I probably would've cut SNL more slack but while we're talking about creative judgment here, since when is it okay for a nominated candidate for U.S. Senator to write a stealth skit (Al Franken, an SNL ex-writer)? Who knew it would turn into nothing more than an offensive assault on McCain-Palin? Please, Lorne, you know better than that. Equal time, anyone?

Fey stated that she would be glad to not have to play "this lady" again after November 5th during the trade's award show last night. I'll add here that the Emmys were the lowest rated in history and likely most politically themed. Ironically, if SNL and the rest of these morons keeps it up and continues to beat on us, we simpletons out here in fly over country will probably react and vote for Sarah Palin in bigger numbers than ever before and thus, Fey will be playing Palin for longer than she could have ever imagined--eight years, maybe more.

Some people will do anything for money.

Meanwhile, I'll never watch little ole Tina again. She's off my list of Cool Broads forever.

And Sarah Palin? She continues to amaze me with her ability to simply work through the media in the manner in which she's done it with poise and grace. I like the example she sets and I think it's good for American women in particular and for America all around.

Thanks for the read.

No comments: