Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Sleeping Dragon is now awake. You feed it. No. You feed it.

John McCain's "Don't make waves!" request to President Bush when he goes to China for the Olympic Summer Games leaves me cold. I don't like that kind of response to nearly anything unless it has to do with compounded interest.

But then I realized we're listening to a former POW who realizes what the effects of the President's words have on China's dissidents and its politically oppressed from a physical standpoint. He's protecting them. Then, there's the N. Korean thing.

That meaningful concern of Senator McCain's notwithstanding, I understand the phrases and words that the President of the United States utters are desperately important. What he does is as profoundly felt as anything that moves on the planet ala "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" considering where these events are about to occur and under what rule.

There could be Texas-style grand and not so noble gestures by a president who may end up with the legacy of actually forcing people into freedom...having it punctuated by an in-your face visit to a Christian house church meeting or a "drop by" at a small meeting of democrats...in a Communist country...at the end of his term. Really. It would be too sweet for words.

Wishful thinking? I wouldn't put it past him.

In the meantime, McCain's front loading the president's trip with marching orders about what to do and say is typical of why Senator McCain is not popular with Christian Evangelicals right now, I suspect.

I'm afraid I have to agree on this one with all respect.

Even though I know why Senator McCain said what he did, which I think happens anyway, I wish he hadn't said a word. But he already has. And I think he's just dead wrong. I'm real disappointed in that.

On the other hand, Obama's answer which is to not attend the Olympics at all, is a little like ignoring the elephant in the room, typical when one thinks of Obama's entire rather strange post race stance, post everything: running away from Beijing as he would've Baghdad is not the answer to tyrants.
Gentle but unswerving and unmistakeable confrontation(s) by the most powerful man in the world against the massive regime which in the 21st century still remains the major oppressor of a billion people sends a monumental message.

Even if it's come later than I think it should have, I'm pleased President Bush has decided to show some true leadership in this regard. Let's see if he follows through.

Thanks for the read.

No comments: