Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Texas Democrats will not allow an Obama win, IMHO

When I was a student at Texas Christian University I learned a little about Texas Democrat politics, and if I wanted to live, Texas football. Not a lot, but enough to know more than the media numbskulls who've never been there longer than two weeks.

Box 13, Jim Wells and Duval Counties, Texas
Easterners think they're so freakin' smart what with their Ivy League schools and their clubs and their ridiculous secret societies. Well, the rest of the country can be twits just like them, especially in Texas.

Power players like Jim Wright, former Democratic Speaker of the House, whose permanent office is located in the library at Texas Christian University, lavishly displays Texas individuality and influence on the rest of ya'll.

TCU,in Ft. Worth, Texas, is my brother's and my alma mater. This kid from Kansas City was considered a Yankee so I wasn't accepted very quickly. After a few lonely, bewidering days I was fortunate to have made some really close, quality Texas girlfriends, the ones whose mamas weren't sitting outside the soroity houses during Rush Week in their Cadillacs waiting for their Niemann-marcus card-carrying Honey Sues to pledge their fave soroities. But that's another article for my "Lucy" blog.

One girl, whose political leanings I won't mention, was another politics junkie like me. We had our own intellectual sorority. We clicked because we liked to believe we thought strategically, rather than with emotion. Of course, we were just kids and were probably just idiots. Don't get me wrong; we were also crazy about guys and getting away from our parents at all costs.

She was my new best friend (I was to be her maid-of-honor at her wedding) whose father was a well-known, major Texas pol from a huge south Texas city who gave me the skinny on dirty in-state politics. Maybe it was just girl talk; though later I read respectable historical pieces that substantiated her underground tales about "Landslide Lyndon" Johnson's rise in the senate, the dark side of the big bosses like George Parr, the political corruption of Jim Wells and Duval Counties, on and on. Of course, her information came from sitting around the Sunday dinner table.

This and other Lone Star State's political lore isn't new or hidden, but it does bear repeating: Texas Democrats have seen (and counted) dead people's votes in some southern Texas counties for decades now, a political fallback Senator Clinton may owe her gods for years to come.

Don't Mess with Texas
You read it as you enter, travel through and leave the state. It's probably important for outsiders to remember. Especially if you're new--and young--in politics.

Thanks for the read.