Friday, October 17, 2008

Open letter to General/Secretary Colin Powell

Dear Mr. Powell,

As a fellow Republican who has always trusted your leadership and strength, your instincts to place country before personality and your demonstrated ability to get the military and state departments missions successfully accomplished, I ask in all respect that you listen to me.

I understand via the media, those "Infallibles," that you plan to endorse Senator Obama this weekend.

Someone in our party has to ask the question. If this is true, why?

Is your alleged impending decision to support your fellow man of color who comes, frankly, from the other end of the political spectrum when it concerns freedom and democracy a return to an instinctual Colin Powell, a brother, rather than a father or a leader? Are you tired of the Uncle Tom routine? I thought you were bigger than that, Sir.

But I'm worried that you've changed your whole personal/political paradigm to fit a Democrat's world view. When and why did that happen? How, Sir, can you even contemplate supporting a man like Barack Obama who preaches precisely the opposite of what you have defended and even fought for?

You've seen little despots before, General. Your tours of duty while serving the United States with great honor must have encountered those who would use their cult of personality to obtain power. He doesn't remind you of one, even when you read the G2, the real dope?

Evidently not. I think you're blinded by your own bias. But then, who isn't? That's why we have political parties--to bring ideas together from disparate sources and people.

You know, General Powell, I would've voted for you almost blindly also because you represent a standard that is exemplary for kids. Now? Your ambivalence to the obvious hate speech and agitation of race music and hip hop versus the evident slights you might have felt you endured during the Bush administration must be difficult to deal with.

And I'm presumptuous to make such an assay of your life. But, I do wish to confront your involvement in Republican politics and your inability to support them. At least, Lieberman became an Independent, a fair outcome to his disagreements with the left wing of his party.

In the meantime, I respect your reputation and its accompanying honor. I certainly mean no disrespect to your freedom of choice, regardless of party. I only hope he will accept my "helpful" exhortation as a peer in the same political party to think long about your endorsement for president.

By the way, Senator Obama's stand on the issues is the reason I won't vote for him; not because he's a black man. It's sad that this point must be made over and over again.

Thank you for your service.


And thanks for the read.

No comments: